Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Rat Race

Recently I had an hour to myself while my daughter was at her ballet class. I was running, listening to Misty Edwards and talking to Jesus (thank the Lord for the ability to multi-task!). My thoughts wandered through many topics as I listened to Misty's songs to the Lord. Many of her lyrics bring me back to a place of humility before Him. In those times, I am reminded of what an honor it is to be chosen by Him to be His kid despite my sinful state. As I ran, I was thinking about how far I've come in my relationship with Jesus and how much crap there is left in me.. Augh! How can He find me lovely still? This road to holiness sure can seem long sometimes! I then had the thought "I wonder if we could overcome our issues, hurts and bondages more quickly and easily if we all weren't so tired, busy, hungry (does anyone else forget to feed themselves and then their family pays the price by your grumpiness?) and just down right stressed. The lack of the latter would promote, besides the obvious, more opportunity to actually hear Jesus whisper to me, to just sit with Him and say nothing or to simply laugh more often among other things. And history has proven to me that time with Jesus means a cleaner, more free me - not to mention more joyful and relaxed.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

It is so very true. I know that when I am tired, I can't even spend time with Him: I fall asleep. When I am annoyed I can't spend time with Him because I'm just not ready to receive. sigh. It is a good thing to rest our bodies and try to quiet our spirits regularly.

Beautiful Grace said...

AMEN!!! I find myself longing to have that quiet time with Jesus. I get so fed up with responsibilities, that I find myself praying, "Carve some time out for us, Jesus." I think of that time as a "date" with Jesus. And yes, I am closer to the woman He created me to be, when we have our dates.

Are you coming to the women's ministry encounter on Friday? I believe it will be a powerful "date" with Jesus. I think you have to sign up.

Susan said...

Yes, Beautiful Grace, I will be there, all day, in fact. I am helping to facilitate soaking worship for the day. I have my own appointment time as well! Thanks for the encouragement!

Beautiful Grace said...

Hey, Susan, I'll be there all day as well!!! Wow, that's neat! We both get to have a "date" with Jesus together! ;)

Melissa said...

I am AMENing every word you wrote. I have been having some wonderful weeks with Jesus and then blew it last night with a nasty Mommy Rant. I apologized to the girls and Jesus and then spent the rest of the evening still feeling guilty. You'd think I would've learned by now.....