Monday, August 11, 2008

The Tongue

"Death and Life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit" Proverbs 18:21

It seems that the power of our words is often an oversight in parenting. Simply our careless use of the words "always" and "never" is a good indication of this. Another classic example is the "cute" shirts we thoughtlessly don on our kids with messages like: "I'm the boss" or "Spoiled Rotten" or "Here Comes Trouble". With three girls very close in age, I already find myself professing how terrible the adolescent years will be like in our house. The Holy Spirit has caught me time and time again with a gentle "careful!" There are already dozens of voices in the world saying what our children are, should be or will become. SOMEBODY on this earth needs to speak The Truth over them.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Amen! Pre-adolescnce and adolescence doesn't have to be bad at all...in fact, it's proving to be my favorite. ;)

I love you so much and am glad that you started this blog just for the selfish reason of being able to hear your thoughts more regularly. I knwo that this little thing will blossom into more than you thought.

Beautiful Grace said...

You're absolutely 100% correct!!!

Amelia Antwiler said...

ain't it the truth.
Classic Mama sent me over -- Nice to meet you. :-)

Hands-Free Heart said...

Yes, I certainly need this reminder from time to time.

Also came via Classic Mama...looking forward to reading more!

Tiffany said...

I absolutely agree. Jason and I get typical endless comments from people regarding my 11 and 13 year old step-daughters. I refuse to recieve any of it. We just let bounce off the predictable "oh are you in for a treat..." and "just wait until the teen years".

It's so nice to read your blog. The 15 seconds we get to see each other at church now and then with our monkeys dangling everywhere doesn't count...It's very nice to be able to read what's on your heart.

Livin' Life said...

I am sooooo glad you are blogging. I love hearing your heart and it will be awesome getting to know you better even if it is through cyber space.