Thursday, January 29, 2009

Measure of Success

Okay, so this morning as I was working with my daughter on her cyber-school, the phrase came to mind. : "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Before I carelessly blurted it out, I actually had the mind to stop and think about it (this does not always happen!). What exactly is my measure of success? My husband asks this often, especially in conversations about the body of Christ. Once again, this issue of identity is lurking, but this time it's in the shadows of "success".

If I'm trying to assemble a bookshelf, the measure of success is black and white because the goal is clear: put the shelf together so that it doesn't fall over and can be successful at what it was designed to do. However, in parenting, for example, the lines are much more gray. This is where I can easily tangle up my identity in my self-imposed measure of success. If successful parenting, to me, means children that are well behaved and I take them out in public only to witness terrible tantrems and disrespect, have I failed as a parent?

What's the measure of a successful Christian walk? Is it enough of a success to be loved, redeemed and secure? Or does the behavior of my children, how many people I lead to Jesus or how many church activities I can attend define my success? I know the answer in my head, but I think, at times, my heart has amnesia. How can I live in this revelation except to continue to prioritize time to hang out with Jesus? In His presence, I am changed. Period.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. OH OH OH. This is good stuff. :)

(you don't post often, but I so look forward to reading)...

Proverbs 16:25 comes to mind. There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.

Also - Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Genesis 39:2-3 says just what you were saying here...success comes from seeking the Lord, (being with Him and doing what He is doing). The LORD was with Joseph, so he became a successful man....the LORD caused all that he did to prosper in his hand

What is parenting? Isn't the parenting of our children a physical & prophetic model of the relationship we are to have with the Lord? Maybe our relationship with our children should reflect the relationship we desire with our Father; both in instruction and discipline...encouragement and provision. (and all the many other facets of a relationship with the Lord)...


Oh...another one:
Isaiah 58:6-14 (v14) Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD; And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth, And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father. The mouth of the LORD has spoken.

And of course....Matthew 25:23:
'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'

Beautiful Grace said...

Again, your godly insight encourages and inspire me to rest in my Jesus!

Thank you!