Monday, October 25, 2010

Divorce

Once again, I have gotten to a place where there are about a dozen different topics floating around in my brain to blog about. Hats off to you faithful, regular bloggers out there!!!

I once heard it said "Discontentment is the seed of divorce." It makes sense. What do we do when we are not content with something? We find a way to satisfy the lack. And often times in marriage, that leads to wandering eyes, thoughts, desires, etc. all while "happily" married.

Not long ago, it occurred to me that this can apply to many areas of our lives. I thought of this in regards to my own wrestling with this pregnancy and the Lord's plans for our family, etc. During a recent sermon I heard, the challenge was put forth: "How many times does the Lord show us our promised land, our inheritance, and then we choose to settle for something else instead due to our discontentment with the 'plan'?" He was referencing a couple of the tribes of Israel that, instead of occupying the promised land on the West side of the Jordan, chose to settle on the eastern shore. After all, it made sense! They had cattle and the land was lush and prime to raising their herds. It was easy for them. It was not an unknown. It wasn't long before the land they were promised and supposed to occupy was overcome by their enemies. Their inheritance, promised by the Lord was stolen by the enemy. Hmmmm.

In that moment of hearing this story, I felt the Lord speak to my heart: "The land I've chosen for your inheritance is larger than what you thought." So this big family thing, this land of many children, is still larger than I realized. AUGH! That's another whole rabbit trail of thoughts....

So now I realize, if I allow discontentment to fester in my heart towards the Lord and His plan, I could easily end up divorcing myself from His promised land, His inheritance for me and the generations to come! I could allow myself to get distracted by this persons calling or that persons destiny. I could even get distracted by what is to come in other seasons of my own life. As difficult as it may be to settle this promised land that He is offering me now, I can only imagine the rewards that are awaiting us. After all, what could be better than the inheritance of the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After all...what could be better? :)

Oh, this is such a good and timely word - for many, including us.

Thank you.