Saturday, October 30, 2010

More Choices

I recently watched the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" (yes, I watched a movie with the word 'devil' in it....gasp!). The main plot of the movie, as I see it, was about a young woman who gets 'forced' into a lifestyle through circumstances about which she claims she had no choice. She had no choice. Hmm. The phrase "I have no choice" is really a lame excuse. We ALWAYS have a choice. "But what if it means I'll lose my job?" It's still a choice. "What if someone is holding a gun to my head?" It's still a choice. Rather dramatic, I know. But isn't choice what Jesus died for?
*disclaimer: this post is referencing able bodied and mentally capable adults as opposed to children or those physically restrained against their will*

I've had many conversations lately with friends about this subject. Choices. Priorities. Control. The Lord has convicted me of late regarding my choice of words in relation to our finances. It's easy to say, "I can't afford that." But the reality is, whatever "that" is, has just not become a priority in our budget, right? Now, I am in no way attempting to minimize the very real needs that exist in our lives. Believe me. It's just that the word is the word. God promises to provide for our needs according to His riches. Our needs, His riches. Maybe that's where I miss the boat.

Anyway, one conversation with a friend was her venting about how 'Lucy' can say she can't afford a new kitchen when my friend knows how much money 'Lucy' makes. Had that thought before? I sure have! Here are a few principals I've been trying to keep in mind as I come face to face with the consequences of my choices:
1. Keep my eyes on my own paper. Only God knows our hearts.
2. We reap what we sow. There's no getting around it. Time, money, resources. The amount we give away has direct influence over what we receive (but has no bearing on how much we are loved!). I have no idea the seed that has been sown by those around me.
3. It's all a matter of priority. What is most important to me is where I will invest my resources.
4. I do not have an infinite supply. When I give to one thing (not just financially), I am withholding from something else simply because I am not God.
5. I have no idea the measure of debt others carry to fulfill their priorities.
6. The world evolves around money and time. God does not.

Now, about that new house, Lord....:-)

1 comment:

PressingIn said...

Hubby & I just finished going through Kenneth Copeland's "10 Day Spiritual Action Plan for Complete Financial Breakthrough"...excellent! Certainly I wish that it was a 10 day complete financial breakthrough program, and we are now debt free, but well, it hasn't happened...yet. Knowing the Word of God is our weapon against the enemy who wants to steal our blessing that Abba has for us. It has provided much peace when I start to feel overwhelmed with our circumstances. I know that He's here, and that He will bring us to victory. I'm praying that yours comes quickly too. :) Love to you friend.