Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Classic Quotes

Word got out to the kiddos "Mommy's making dessert tonight!" Obviously this is a rarity. Seraphina, who might as well be named "sugar", runs into the kitchen:
Seraphina: "What awre you making for dessewrt?"
Me: Strawberry shortcake
S: "You awre making a giwrl for dessert?"
Wow. I really must not make dessert often if she doesn't even know that the poofy hatted brunette doll is not the originator of the name "Strawberry Shortcake."

While munching on cereal for breakfast a few mornings ago, Jonah came out with this question:
Jonah: "What does supper taste like?"
Me: "You mean 'supper', like 'dinner'?"
Jonah: "Yeah, what does it taste like?"
Me: "'Supper' is another way to say' dinner'."
Jonah: "Oh...so what does it taste like?"
:-)

Yesterday I picked up our CSA veggie box at the host site in Mechanicsburg. They pile up the boxes in the garage of the host for us locals to pick up. Usually we just go in on our own time, check our name off the list in the notebook, pick up our designated box and leave. Well, yesterday there was a little boy, about 9-10 years old, in the garage eager to guide me through the process. Here is the conversation that ensued:
Me: "Are you the helper today?"
Boy: "I'm my mother's son!"
Me: "Oh! Well, yes, I guess you are!"
As I chuckled, a couple walked into the garage to pick up their box. He greeted them with the same statement: "I'm my mother's son!" We looked at each other and all 3 of us got a good chuckle out of his remark. Either he thought we knew who his mother was, or he was pretty proud of who his mother is or maybe both. Regardless, I thought it was a rather profound statement reflecting his perspective of his identity. Now if only I was content to be recognized solely as "my Daddy's daughter"....

No comments: