Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dilemma

Here's an honor challenge for me:
My oldest daughter, Grace, is eight years old. She is an artist and an entrepreneur. About 18 months ago, she decided she would right books about all different subject and sell them for $1000 each to raise money for our new house. I told her she could post a sign on the porch and see if anyone wanted to buy some. She wrote 2 books, but never got the sign up. The inspiration passed in a week or so. Months later, she came back to me and said, "I see now, mom, that $1000 per book was a lot of money to ask." Lesson learned, memories made, no harm done.

Now she is older and is attending school. And here is her latest business idea: She has created these things she calls "puff balls." They are about 2 inches in diameter and consist of a dozen or so short pieces of yarn, somehow tied together at the center to make - a puff ball. She has made a sign listing the variety of colors and sizes and their accompanying prices. Oh, and she is also offering paper baskets that she is weaving herself with brown construction paper. In light of the situation in Haiti, her school is collecting money and relief supplies. Grace's goal is to make and sell these puff balls, giving the proceeds to Haiti. She has contacted family members in pursuit of yarn and intends to buy more at the dollar store with her Papa as I write. I mean, she is zealous about this idea!!!

The dilemma: Should I try to intervene? I've already offered a price adjustment suggestion, which she took to, partially. But she is collecting many skeins of yarn with no clue as to the reality of her pursuits. Will her friends actually buy some? Will she be the laughing stalk of her class? Will she be able to make any more than a few puff balls and baskets? My mama's heart wants to "save" her the potential heart break. At the same time, I've learned that Jesus is her keeper, not me. I want to honor her in every one of her passions and pursuits. She is so precious in her desires, but so unrealistic!? I don't want to "burst her bubble" with a reality check, but.....sigh...all in a day's work ;-)

5 comments:

PressingIn said...

Susan, you're such an amazing mom. I have no advice for you, except to just be her biggest cheerleader. Jesus is her keeper (as you stated) and He will give you what you need to bless your children. Sounds to me like this little sweetie definitely has a gift!! :) Love to you friend!

Livin' Life said...

It's been hard to get a few minutes to comment but I so enjoy reading your posts. :-) I love how she has such a huge gifting in buisness at such a young age. It's beautiful to see and know she might be taking the Business Mountain one day for Christ. I think many people will hear her heart for Hati and help out no matter what the product is. I will buy some...seriously let me know because she is blessing others I would be honored to bless her in her endeavors. Please let me know.:-)

Susan said...

Hey there "livin life". Thanks for your encouragement. I couldn't find your e-mail to send you some more info....maybe it's on your blog. In any case, I know that you are quite talented in many arenas....any thought on how I could empower Grace with a more substantial "puff ball"? Like a more legitimate zipper pull made of yarn or something? I would also like to send you her price list and color info....

Susan said...

Hey there "livin life". Thanks for your encouragement. I couldn't find your e-mail to send you some more info....maybe it's on your blog. In any case, I know that you are quite talented in many arenas....any thought on how I could empower Grace with a more substantial "puff ball"? Like a more legitimate zipper pull made of yarn or something? I would also like to send you her price list and color info....

Unknown said...

When I was her age my neighbor gave me some seashells and a few months later when I went around to the neighbors selling them she bought some back. I also sold braided yarn bracelets at one time. We lived in the country and didn't have many neighbors so my ventures didn't ever last very long. My husband once picked all his neighbors pine cones off their tree and then sold them their own pine cones. Foster her entrepreneurial spirit but don't get in the way of the lessons she will learn. I paid $1 for a dixie cup full of lemonade from the little girl on the corner so there are plenty of adults to support budding business owners. ;o)