Monday, January 25, 2010

Report Cards

The kids brought home their report cards tonight. It was a flashback in time for me looking at their grades, all A's.....the apples don't fall far from the tree. Yet, I REALLY don't want them to become the same variety of apple as this mom. When I was in school, so much of my identity and value was tied up in my grades and performance. No matter how well I did, it was never good enough. YUCKNESS!!

So tonight, I decided to celebrate my girls' good reports and order out for dinner. (Yes, I'm always looking for a way out of making dinner.) In any case, as we sat around the dinner table, I was sure to be clear with them: We are celebrating them and the fact that they did their best. And we will keep celebrating that no matter what letters don their report cards throughout the years. IF I had to choose, I'd rather see them raising the dead than producing perfect performances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'd rather see them raising the dead than producing perfect performances. "....

And the great thing is....you don't mean that figuratively! :)

Kelli said...

:) That's it. I'm just smiling.