Friday, January 22, 2010

Learning to Deal

My oldest daughter needed a tube sock for an unknown school project last week. I put out a request via e-mail to some family and friends. It could be used but without holes. So Grandma brought us an old sock of Grandpa's. The sock was in decent shape and although it was a tube sock, it now had a very defined heel worn into it. The instructions were clearly for a TUBE SOCK, no heel or toe in the sock. So I went on a hunt for a new tube sock. I am convinced that only a VERY small percentage of the population wears these things anymore. After being unsuccessful at one store, I found some at Target. A pack of 10 none-the-less.

As I drove home, I thought "I could just give Grace the used sock and let her deal with the heel imperfection". Memories of childhood projects, posters, crafts and costumes came to mind. My amazingly creative mother was always there to make sure my project was neat, beautiful and of the utmost quality. Some would say, "perfect." It's how she showed her love and it was something she did so well. That became my "norm" in life, only adding to the perfectionism with which I lived.

The thought came to me on my ride home from Target, "If I spend my energy trying to make things perfect for my children, I will rob them of opportunities to learn how to deal with the imperfections of life." Teaching them excellence and good care is one thing. Eliminating learning opportunities is another.

Tube sock, anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder.....why can't the school provide 2 or 3 10 packs of socks for the whole class....that would be enough socks for each student I'm sure...I mean, why do the parents have to split up a perfectly good pair....

Teaching how to deal with imperfection rather than teaching perfection....it's such a reasonable and meaningful goal.

(PS...you've been posting a lot lately...it's nice!) :)