Saturday, March 27, 2010

Mind-Sharpening

Just a quick shoulder update:
Surgery went well on the 17th. Have NOT liked the heavy pain meds, so I re-wrote my medication plan resulting in a clearer head and a bit more pain.

However, everyday the pain is a little less and my mobility a little more. It's the little things that gage my progress. While I still can't brush my teeth with my right hand, I can barely get my eyeliner on using my right hand, but only on the bottom eyelid. Most of the time I can use both hands to pull my pants up, although it takes a good bit longer than normal. Still no diaper changing or picking up my babies.....missing that the most, I'd say. But I have been mastering the skill of eating with my left hand, washing my hair with my left hand and a bit of writing with my left hand, all of which I am told, will sharpen my mind. I would have rather kept it on the dull side or mastered another skill instead. Oh, well.

Thanks goes out for all the meals, prayers, cards, calls, etc. I have been overwhelmed with love and support!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a bad post for typing it all with your left hand.. ;)

Promises said...

Glad that you are doing better. Surgery and recovery is definitely not easy, but add on having young children, and it is a little more challenging! I totally understand, but I had surgery on my foot in October! I will be praying for your recovery - are you going to PT also?

Susan said...

Truth be told, I am typing with both hands for a very limited amount of time before it just hurts too bad.
Yes, tomorrow I will be meet with the surgeon for a post-op evaluation and then start scheduling PT. I'm hoping they will let me put some time in on a bike or something to work off the weight I've gained from sitting around eating for the past 2 weeks! HA!