Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Bunder

Entry from Monday, the 26th.....my husband finally came home tonight:
My hat's off to all single moms. Tonight my husband helped me get half the kids to bed before heading off to Virginia where he will be taking a class for work.

So, of course, on one of the very rare nights that I have the kids alone overnight, there has to be a thunderstorm. Overall, my kids do really well and really don't battle much fear. Most of them still need convincing, however, when a big thunderstorm rolls in. Grace, who was trying to fall asleep in my bed, found me on the computer in the basement, tears rolling down her panicked face. I led her up to bed as she cried "I'm worried about daddy on the road!" I reassured her of Jesus' love and presence and that worry is really fear and needs to be dealt with using the power and authority of Jesus.

Then I checked on the boys who were loudly carrying on in their room, still trying to get settled for sleep. Jonah, who is 4, asked me, "Is that bunder mom?" "Yes, that's thunder", I replied with a chuckle. "Open the window, mom, so I can see the bunder." I patiently explained to him that you can't see thunder, only hear it. "Will the bunder be there in the morning?" Ah. So cute. Then suddenly he realized daddy is gone. "You better make sure daddy doesn't get scared of the bunder, mom!" I assured him that I would call and check on daddy.

My 2 year old who was pleading "Holeju, holeju" (interpreted, "hold you" - he wants me to pick him up). I put my arms around him as we listened to the thunder. I said, "That's thunder, isn't it neat?" He responded in a quiet, wimpering voice, "Yeah, meat!"

Thankfully, two of the five children made it into slumber land before the storm came through. And now, all is quiet on the home front. I better get ready for the morning rush since my beloved is not here to take care of his usual lunch packing, breakfast making, coffee serving, child corralling tasks. Whew, I'm weary just thinking about it all AND reminded of what an amazing man I have married!

No comments: