Monday, April 26, 2010

Poo-Poo Sticks!

The potty training saga continues. I've been trying to put Jonah on the potty before naptime so that he doesn't poop in the midst of it and then never go to sleep. Not to mention the simple fact that 4 year old poops are NASTY!

So today, I put him on the potty and go downstairs. About 10 minutes goes by and I hear the shriek "My pee-pees comes down!" Good job buddy! His sister quickly rewards him with a Mike & Ike. I give him the choice to either go to bed for nap or put poo-poo in the potty. He chooses the latter. Oh, I guess it's also important to note that I bribed him with a half eaten chocolate bunny if he fulfills the mission. That's enough to keep him on that potty for a LONG time. So long, in fact, that he had to take 2 breaks from the potty so that other family members could use the bathroom, one of them being his sister Seraphina. Jonah stands by as she demonstrates how to put poo-poo in the potty. As he peers into the potty he suddenly cries out, "sticks!" Seraphina proceeds to explain to him that he can have sticks too if he puts his poo-poo in the potty. It then occurs to me that the only shape he has seen poop is either a formless mass or the shape of inverted hiney cheeks. C'mon, moms and dads, you know what I'm talking about!

Jonah climbs back on the potty, this time I deliver the "Text and Learn" for him to play with while he waits. After cleaning up the kitchen a bit, I start my 10th ascent in an hour (at least it seemed like that many!) to the bathroom. As I begin my climb, I hear Jonah exclaim, "Poo-poo sticks!!!!" Sure enough, mission accomplished. He was so excited he was bouncing around the bathroom with only a t-shirt on his lanky body. In my attempt to make it an experience that would lead to many others, I asked him if he felt it coming and then just decided to push it out. "Yes!", he said, "and I pushed really hard!"

Needless to say, the bunny has been consumed by a very proud 4 year old boy!

2 comments:

Promises said...

at is so awesome! I totally hear you on this! My 4 year old finally trained in the poo-poo department about 6 weeks ago...and he only had 1/3 of an accident! It came upon him quickly, but only one little poop in the pants and then 2 poops in the potty...that is what he told me when I went to pick him up from my parents. I was still proud of him for holding 2/3 of it in - and then we talked about what accidents really were!

So happy for you and your little guy!

Andrea said...

This is GREAT! I can see it all happening! Thanks for sharing the details :)