Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Race for Education....Lessons for Life

Today was the kids' "Race for Education" at their school. The purpose is to raise money for the school's needs (i.e. last year they were able to purchase a much needed school bus for the school). The children get sponsors and then have an hour to run as many laps as possible. I love watching the little ones. All three of my girls were in the the Pre-K through 2nd grade time slot from 9-10am. Just imagine a pack of kids, no taller than 4 feet-ish, at the starting line, ready to sprint.....for an hour. Yes, that is an absolute contradiction, but such a good workout, none-the-less. You see, family and friends are encouraged to attend to cheer on their students as well as participate in the run. Last year, it was possibly the most intense workout of my year aside from my half-marathon. which doesn't really say much considering I'm a mom of 5 little ones and barely eek-ed out 3 runs a week to train for the half. Anyway, sprinting for 3/4 of a lap and then walking for 1/4 lap over and over for an hour gives me something to sweat about. I decided to try to run with them again this year despite my recovering shoulder. It worked out pretty well but I must say that my seven year old, Elizabeth, kicked my butt! She's an amazing athlete!

Which brings up my deeper thought and challenge.....encouraging the God-given abilities in our children while reinforcing that their true identity and security is found only in Jesus. Heck, I can't even get it figured out for my own life most of the time. Praise and encouragement gives us a sense of being appreciated and valued. But, truly, allowing our value to be determined by our measure of success or giftedness or talent only keeps us on a fruitless cycle of expectation and disappointment. In my own life, I've recently thrown up my hands (again) and said "Jesus, I don't know how you're gonna do this, but PLEASE help me find my security and identity ONLY in You!" And even more recently, I've done the same on behalf of my sweet little Elizabeth....sigh...I'll have to post on her later. Let's just say that we now have a little game we play:
ME: Hope, why are you good?
HOPE: Because Jesus made me that way.
ME: Can you do anything to be more good?
HOPE: No
ME: Can you do anything to be less good?
HOPE: No

Game over.....until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

one thing I am praying over myself for our kids is that I give them more and more encouragement. Even if what I am encouraging I think somewhere in my mind needs improvement - I need to suppress the commentary that I hear in my head about the improvement that I think they need...They did their best and I need to encourage that, no matter their result.

Good post my friend! :)

....encouraging the God-given abilities in our children while reinforcing that their true identity and security is found only in Jesus....yeah.

That's a good game too - just wish I as an adult knew how to play it too....

Susan said...

Ah, yes, encouragement....good word...no doubt Jesus probably looses his breath, He spends so much time encouraging us. We just don't always have ears to hear it....if we practice what you mentioned, maybe we can teach our children to develop an ear for the words of affirmation from Jesus....and re-teach ourselves in the process!